Saturday 25 May 2013

The battle between e-books and traditional textbooks

I have said it before. I am a huge fan of traditional printed media. I think that certain publications will weather the storm that has been whipped up by the introduction and development of e-books, indeed some publications will thrive on it. However, I am more cynical about the application of technology to university textbooks.

This infographic below (totally borrowed by the way - Source: http://www.onlinedegrees.org/e-textbooks-vs-print-textbooks) shows how university/college textbooks fare against their up-and-coming e-book rivals. 

The one thing that rings true with me, and the biggest driver behind my development of www.thebookpond.com was the fact that real books can be re-sold. If you look at the price of buying a new book and then selling it at a reduced price, more often than not, it's a better value alternative to e-books or textbook rental. That's my thinking anyway.

What do you think? Do you agree with the facts on the infographic?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, leave us a comment. It will make our day. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...